Just 18-months after founding, Minds Ahead has been recognised as a finalist by Social Enterprise UK, as ‘One to Watch’ – a social enterprise that has made a flying start and has the potential for broad impact.
During an award gala, at the Guildhall in the city of London, Social Enterprise UK shone a spotlight on the leading lights of the social enterprise community, recognising the outstanding achievements of businesses which trade for a social purpose.
Since launching in May 2017, Minds Ahead, a Community Interest Company, have:
· Jointly founded the UK’s first centre for Mental Health in Schools
· Designed and launched the UK’s first Masters for School Leadership of Mental Health and Wellbeing
· Designed and delivered new mental health leadership training to 650+ school leaders, teachers and governors, across the UK and abroad
· Designed the Mental Health in Schools Quality Award, currently used by 350+ schools to evaluate and improve their approaches to fostering mental health
· Co-produced a key report on school mental health, fore-worded by former Health Minister, Norman Lamb and former Secretary of State for Education, Nicky Morgan
Dean Johnstone, founder and CEO of Minds Ahead said “I set up Minds Ahead in 2017 to address the crisis in school-based mental health. The UK has the potential to lead this agenda, but we need new models and methods to ensure all children are supported. Awards like this validate our work further and motivate us to push further.”
Commenting on this years’ ceremony, Peter Holbrook Chief Executive of SEUK said:
“In the troubling, uncertain times we’re living in, social enterprises are a beacon of hope. They are showing that another way of doing business is possible, one rooted in the values of community, equality and fairness.
It can no longer be seen as a fringe part of our economy but rather as a sector creating real impact both socially and economically. Social enterprises are showing us what the future of business can look like.”
Reflecting on the Awards Gala, Dean added:
“The Awards Gala was an inspirational event, showing the power and potential of the many social enterprises across the UK working to improve the lives of people, strengthen our communities and protect our environment by conducting sound business in a socially responsible way. Minds Ahead are a Community Interest Company and proud to be a member of Social Enterprise UK.”